Thursday night we went camping at Fort Boonesborough state park. This is an old civil war fort that is now a state park. I think this is the first time that we have gone camping by ourselves and for sure the first time we have attempted taking the twins on such an outing. I had forgotten how much is involved with camping and packing for eight people. It just makes you appreciate your own parents for doing it for you since the kids had very little to worry about except how many smores they could eat! It was kind of a last minute decision since we weren't even sure we would be able to find a place on the 4Th of July weekend but we did and so we packed everything up and headed out. I have to say I did pretty good remembering everything. I only had to make on trip to the gas station down the road for ketchup and mustard and even that I guess we could have gone without except the thought of dry hot dogs didn't sound to appealing. Kevin forgot matches which is kind of important if you want a fire but thank goodness for fellow campers who willingly gave us a lighter. All in all we did really good and had a great time. The rain held out through the evening which was great because they did a firework show on the beach down by the Kentucky river. The 4Th of July a day early!! After getting babies to bed we played a few hands of skip-BO trying to ignore the many bugs that wanted to check out the lantern then went to bed. Between the eight of us there was not an inch of free space on the floor of the tent but we managed to have a pretty good night anyway. The rain started in the night and pretty much continued the rest of the morning. Kevin cooked breakfast in the rain and The kids decided that since they were wet anyway they may as well have their swimming suits on. That's the great thing about Kentucky. Even though it is raining it is still plenty warm. After breakfast we hung out in the tent for a while hoping the rain would let up. As soon as it did we threw everything in the car and headed home to get ready for all our 4Th of July festivities. So we got a little wet but these are the moments that memories are made of.
Mia and Mason in the playpen trying to stay clean!



1 comment:
You said "A good thing about Kentucky..." I am glad you are looking for good things since you are going to be there a while. I am proud of you guys for taking the chance of going crazy camping with all those kids.
Post a Comment